We don’t normally blog about things that are seen as contentious, however, soon it is International Plastic Bag Free Day and I think most of us have seen the harrowing pictures that have been shown on TV recently about the effect that plastic has on or sea life. Something that was once marketed as a really useful object has become one of the worst problems the world has seen.
Here are a couple of facts you may not know about plastic carrier bags.
- On average, a plastic bag is only used for 25 minutes
- On average one million plastic bags are used around the world per minute!
- It can take between 100 – 500 years for plastic bags to disintegrate
On a lighter note, we can all do something about it, and indeed we do here at Layhead. We are firm believers in using alternatives to plastic bags (and bottles) and if you’ve stayed at one of our cottages, you will have mostly likely seen our hessian shopping bags with our friendly owl displayed on the side.
Unfortunately, it isn’t just plastic bags that are the problem. Everyday items we take for granted include plastic. Did you know that even some teabags have plastic in them?
Here are 5 easy (and relatively cheap) ways to cut down on the use of plastic.
- Carry a canvas bag for shopping, or if you’re crafty, you can make your own from scraps of material.
2. Carry a re-useable water bottle / coffee cup. My PA has a refillable water bottle with a unicorn on, but we won’t go into that!
3. Use an alternative to your usual detergent sold in plastic bottles. You could either find a shop that provides detergent refills or, you could try a total alternative – Soapnuts. Never heard of them? Read more
4. Buy a bamboo toothbrush.
5. Use an alternative to clingfilm – yes, there is one. Bee Wraps. Find out more
If you have any fabulous (or not so fabulous but they work) ideas about how you have cut down on plastics and you’re willing to share, email us at email@example.com with the details and a photo. We’d love to hear from you!
For more information on International Plastic Free Day CLICK HERE