With 17th March coming up, here are 5 things you may not know about St Patrick’s Day.
- The original colour to wear on St. Patrick’s Day was blue
Although green is now the usual colour of Ireland, blue is still the official colour of the state.
2. St Patrick is the patron Saint of Ireland
St Patrick was also made patron Saint on Nigeria in 1961.
3. According to legend, St Patrick drove all Irelands snakes into the sea.
After being attacked by a snake during a 40 day fast, St Patrick banished all snakes in Ireland and chased them into the sea.
4. St. Patrick died on March 17, 461
St Patrick dies at Saul, Downpatrick in Ireland
5. Wearing green on St. Patrick’s Day started in the 17th century
It is said that if you didn’t wear green on St. Patrick’s Day, the Leprechauns would sneak up on you and pinch you.